Saturday, May 30, 2009

Pop's New Loves


My dad (Pop) is a very lucky man.  He already has a terrific grandson, Luke, who he adores and now gets to add two granddaughters to the mix.  He drove 7 hours on Thursday to get his Geneva and Lexa fix in!  He held both girls for about 15 minutes each (Genevea on the top and Lexa on the bottom).  They were both alert and responded well to his voice.  I got to hold them both briefly as well and even change Geneva's diaper and feed Lexa.  I'm sure I'll get lots more practice at poopy diapers and round the clock feedings very soon!  Friday was the hardest day of my life.  I was released from the hospital but had to leave my sweet angels there.  It is so weird to know that they were so close to me for 8 months and now they seem a galaxy away.  I told Patrick a piece of my heart was ripped away as we drove away from the hospital last night. Even though they have never been home, our house seems so quiet and empty.  It is the hardest thing to explain.  All of their clothes, blankets, swings, etc. are now really theirs.  I can picture them in them as before they were born it was still a mystery and somewhat unreal.  I can't wait for them to come see their room and all of the wonderful gifts people have showered them with.  We are going up in about an hour to hold and feed them today and are now allowed to bring blankets and hats from home.  I tell them every day of all the people that love them and cannot wait to meet them.  I spoke with the doctor from Children's Hospital yesterday (he has been filling in for the regular doctor who is on vacation), and he is confident they are progressing and will be home by late June.  I can't wait. 

No comments: