
Well, it seems like my good luck has run out... I went to the doctor on Thursday and everything was PERFECT... blood pressure, blood sugar, weight, exam, ultrasound, swelling, etc. My doctor continued to brag saying that I am a real trooper, carrying twins better than she carried one. She even went so far as to say that I would be a great candidate for a regular delivery (no C-section) based on the position of the babies (less than 30% of twins are delivered traditionally). I could continue to work with no restrictions. I was on cloud 9... then I had to go upstairs in the hospital for one hour of monitoring. A few minutes into the monitoring, highly engrossed in my new novel, the nurse busts in the room... "Are you in pain??" NO! WHY? She informs me I am having contractions. She positions me to try and stop the contractions. They inform me the doctor will be paged if the contractions don't stop in 5 minutes... I AM IN SHOCK at this point but am sure there is a mistake. The next thing I know, there is my previously happy, optimistic doctor in my room telling me I am in possible pre-term labor at 30 weeks. She is ordering a shot to stop the contractions and a steroid shot to be given to mature the girls' lungs just in case they come. My first reaction, "Do I need to call my husband? This sounds serious." I am still in total shock, feeling no pain or contractions. So the doctor says she will be back in an hour. In the meantime, I call my mom and Patrick who meet me at the hospital. It was quite an adventure. It all happened so fast and luckily I didn't have time to actually think of the possibly scary results. Well the contractions didn't really stop completely but there was no dilation, therefore, it was not considered pre-term labor but could easily be headed down that road. So I was told bedrest and I had to return to the hospital on Friday for another monitoring and the 2nd round of steroid shot to mature the lungs. No contractions detected on Friday so I am not sure what my final restrictions are (will find out tomorrow). Initially I was told strict bedrest, only getting up to go to the bathroom, but am hoping that I can have some sort of modified bedrest. I am going crazy! And I feel terrible that Patrick is doing everything... laundry, cooking, grocery shopping, and cleaning. I feel so useless and the frustrating part is that I feel FINE. I just have to keep telling myself that these babies have at least 5 more weeks to stay inside and grow and that in the end, this will all be worth it. I hate being off work and using my maternity leave for this instead of when I will really need it. But the nurse informed me Friday via phone that 32 weeks at bedrest is the clinic's policy, and I will be 31 on Tuesday so I guess I am just a week off. Glad we made a good investment on New Year's Day with our new king-sized bed. I sure don't know how I would still be making it in our queen at this point. Patrick had to lift me out of the bed this morning!! I swear I grew overnight. I am beginning to feel like a whale! We'll keep you posted.
2 comments:
I am so sorry to hear about bedrest. But this is what the babies need. Keep up posted and you will be in my prayers. Much Love, Laura
Somehow I missed this post when I was away! I am just now catching up with Google Reader.
We had a friend who gave birth to two perfect little boys a year ago April and she was on bed rest for 14 weeks. It was not something she wanted, but it all worked out in the end! (She had also researched everything under the sun before the babies came.)
Hang in there!
Post a Comment