Friday, May 23, 2008

Surgery Update

Here is the scoop. What a long day! Well, really two. I worked half a day yesterday, and mom and I drove down to make the 3:00 anethesia appointment (which didn't begin until 4:30) followed by labwork and an EKG. Then this morning, mom and I checked in at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. Surgery began at 8:00 and was over by 10:30. No problems. The cancer was removed, and inital pathology is negative for lymph node involvement (the cancer appears to be contained). She has eaten supper tonight, including cheesecake, and is in good spirits. Her only complaint thus far is a sore throat from the breathing tube used during surgery. She is expected to d/c Sunday a.m. Meanwhile, in a totally different part of the hospital, my grandfather's surgery began around 11:30 and lasted until 2:00ish (the time is blurring together). The doctor told us going in, it was 95% chance of lung cancer. After the surgery, we got wonderful news...no cancer, just an infection, likely fungal, which can be treated with oral mediciation. Because of his age (84) and past history of blood clots, he is in the ICU for the next couple of days. He did have a lot of internal bleeding from having 3 sections of his lung removed, so he is being closely monitored. We did not get to see him tonight. He was in recovery for over 5 hours. My grandmother is doing well. She has been so stressed dealing with her husband and daugther's diagnoses. She is so relieved of their good news. My aunts Jean and Martha and mom's friend, Lydia, were such help today as I was torn in two different directions, running back and forth between the two patients. Thank goodness for cell phones! Well, I am off to bed. My nervous stomach began acting up around 1:00 a.m. so I only got about 3 hours of sleep last night. Hopefully my anxiety is lifted, and I can sleep tonight. I will update my blog daily to keep everyone posted. Thanks for your prayers!

No comments: