So back to Part II of the labor/delivery story leading up to Geneva & Lexa's birthday.
May 21st, 2009. I had been officially admitted into the hospital. I was in pre-term labor as I was having regular contractions & now was dilating. My regular doctor made her way in to give me the details. As the on-call doctor had told me, delivery was imminent. The goal was to have the girls stay in as long as they were not in distress & as long as my water did not break, hopefully 1 more week so that I made it to Week 33 as now I was Week 32, Day 1. Every day they were inside was equivalent to 3 days they would have to spend in the NICU. The doctor ordered 24 hour rest, not even a shower & magnesium sulfate to begin, a very powerful IV drug that can slow labor but cannot be used very long as it has life-threatening side effects for the mother. When she said the name of the drug, I remembered hearing Hilary talk about it as she had to have it, too. I remember her telling me "It's like the devil jumped inside me!" & my own doctor told me it made her "want to jump out of the window" when she was on it. Well now it was my turn to experience it! Things were moving quickly. I got a urinary catheter, another IV, more fetal monitors, pulse ox monitor, automatic blood pressure cuff, & automatic inflatable leg cuffs to prevent blood clots. So now it was time to start the mag sulfate. Extra nurses came into the room to help & they literally poured ice all over me. I felt like a fish being iced down. They turned the thermostat to 60 & warned me I would feel very hot & sick to my stomach. It was the beginning of a long, exhausting, & nerve racking 4 days. I was so uncomfortable as I was having contractions every 5-10 minutes for those days, had to have blood drawn every 6 hours day & night to ensure my magnesium levels were not too high, not to mention I was huge & trying to sleep in a lumpy bed that detaches for delivery--come to find out high-risk pregnancies never deliver in the birthing suites. Patrick was so good to keep my mind off things & we had great friends & family to visit & offer prayers. We were thankful for every hour that passed & relieved to hear the girls' heartbeats constantly beating away on the monitors.
No comments:
Post a Comment