Thursday, October 23, 2008

Surgery Update

Everything went well yesterday.  I was extremely nervous and shaking even with the warm blankets on me but was out like a light within 30 seconds of the IV anesthesia so luckily I don't remember much.  I slept the two hours home and most of the afternoon but was able to eat a late lunch and supper (thanks mom for the yummy broccoli cheddar soup).  I took my prescription pain meds yesterday but am already off them and onto regular Tylenol.  I was expecting a lot more pain but so far so good.  Just a low-grade fever that I am monitoring but the nurses say is not out of the ordinary.  The good news is the surgery is behind me but the scariest part of this whole process is my fourth round of shots which started last night and unfortunately last 2 to 10 weeks depending on lab work.  My previous shots have been very small needles sub-q which means in the fat of my stomach or thigh.  Now these shots are 1 1/2 inches long and in direct muscle, an area I shouldn't mention on the blog, if you know what I mean.  Luckily my doctor believes in pain management and is one of few that provides lidocaine to numb it before the shot, but even then I cried like a baby! It was pathetic.  It's going to be a long 10 weeks.  Patrick is a very good nurse and is very patient with me.  The animals were very worried though and convinced their daddy was being mean.  It was sweet. Well, I am getting off here to enjoy one of the perks of being home during the day...watching my soap.  Will update soon.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'm so glad that the surgery went well. We've been praying for you, and will continue to pray. I'm glad that your doctor is nice, too! Pain meds are a good thing :)