Monday, February 11, 2008

Quick Trip Home

We made a quick trip home Saturday to help Patrick's grandmother, "Oma" move.  Oma will turn 88 on her birthday and has finally made the difficult decision to move into her daughter and son-in-law's home (Patrick's parents). They built Oma a 900+ square foot apartment onto the back of their house complete with a large walk-in closet, large bathroom, bedroom, den, and kitchen.  We are so relieved that Oma will be looked after and safe.  I work with geriatrics everyday and know what a HARD decision it is to leave your home of more than forty years--but how fortunate we are that she has family that is willing to take this big step.  I just hope and pray I have family that will do the same for me in my late life.  It is so hard to see people in the nursing home who never had children or whose children don't care about them.  I guess you see it all in my line of work.  

Anyway, Patrick helped set up the electronics, and I stayed busy lining shelves and hanging pictures.  Then we headed down to spend time with my dad and stepmother.  We had catfish Saturday night along with all the fixins.  Got up early Sunday and headed back so Patrick could finish a school project.  It was a great trip--got a lot in.  Will head back in 2 weeks for my grandmother's birthday party. Thank God for our grandmothers!  We love them both so much.   

1 comment:

Rachel said...

You guys are so sweet to help your grandma move. I'm glad that you had a good time.