Thursday, July 11, 2013

3 Weeks Old

Mr. Evan is three weeks old (well actually tomorrow, but I have 5 minutes to spare so I thought I better write ahead).  The past 3 weeks have been a sleep-deprived but happy blur.  Taking care of Evan is SO different than taking care of the girls--don't know if it is a boy vs. girl thing; a one baby vs. two babies thing; the fact that he is a lot younger than the girls were when I started taking care of them; or that I am just 4 years older & not as far along in my post-pregnancy recovery period...but it is HARD.  I am sure having 2 other children to take care of as well adds to the complexity of the matter.  Baby keeps both me & Patrick moving constantly.  Evan is very different from the girls.  Some differences:  he is very cold natured; HATES getting wet in the bathtub or even with a wipe; LOVES to be held (the girls could take it or leave it, I think it had to do with being in the NICU for a month); likes to be swaddled or at least given a blanket, mittens, & socks; moves constantly, especially his hands; startles easily (which is not good with 2 older sisters that talk very loudly); and never sleeps, seriously aren't newborns supposed to sleep 22 hours a day?...well let me tell you this one sleeps maybe in 1-2 hour increments hardly ever.  He is the most alert baby.  He will get on his activity mat & kick & make little noises for hours.  He eats every 3 hours & has his pacifier in most of the day.  He changes clothes a lot between leaking diapers & spit-ups (okay that is one thing he has in common with Geneva & Lexa as babies).  We are still adjusting his formula & have added Zantac twice a day (poor kid has inherited the acid reflux gene from me & his sisters) so hopefully this will help him get more comfortable & ease his screaming fits which always come between the hours of midnight & 6:00 a.m.  Overall he is doing well & the doctor was pleased with his 1 pound weight gain from June 26 to July 8 (he is now 8 pounds).  We love him dearly.  These pictures are from his newborn photo shoot on July 2.  











No comments: